he first town hall, destroyed by fire, was built in 1867, next to where Bob's Diner is today. In 1896, the existing Old Town Hall was designed by the New York City firm of Child
and De Goll, Architects.
It was the fourth town hall, the three previous buildings having succumbed to fires in 1880, 1882, and 1893. For over 75 years, the Old Town Hall
served as the seat of Town Government, until 1965 when town offices moved to the First National Bank of Brewster building in the center of Main Street.
Inside, decorative pressed metal
sheets adorn the ceilings and walls of the museum's exhibit hall.
Traveling shows and movies played in the auditorium, which also was the scene for early high school graduations