On November 29, 1895 the Northwest wall of the mine gave way to an avalanche of heavy loosened rock. Thirteen men died from the 200 tons of dislodged rocks. At least 9 other people
had died in the mine throughout its excavation. In 1897 the mine began to be flooded by water from the Middle Branch reservoir and it was officially closed by New York State. Today, the mine lies on private property and
is completely filled in with water.
John N. Trainor Collection of Minerals
In 1935, John N. Trainor, who had a summer residence on Allview
Avenue in Brewster, began collecting rocks and minerals that had been created in the cracks and fissures of the Tilly Foster Mine. Part of his collection, on loan from the New York State Museum in Albany, can be viewed at the