Click the panels below to zoom in or out.
John N. Trainor Collection of Minerals
In 1935, John N. Trainor, who had a summer residence on Allview Avenue in Brewster, began collecting rocks and minerals that had been created in the cracks and fissures of the Tilly Foster Mine. Part of his collection, on loan from the New York State Museum in Albany, can be viewed at the Southeast Museum.
Specimens include the minerals of magnetite, chondrodite, clinochlore, brucite, serpentine and titanite, pyrite and talc to list a few. The museum has 86
minerals on display. While the minerals are not considered precious, the mine is known for having a large variety of minerals and of the highest quality.
Come see our display of minerals from the mine!